Teeth whitening machines are indeed effective in brightening teeth and can produce noticeable results. They work by using a combination of a whitening gel that contains hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide and LED (light-emitting diode) technology to accelerate the whitening process.
Here’s how they work:
- Preparation: The process typically begins with a thorough cleaning of the teeth to remove any plaque, debris, or surface stains.
- Application of Whitening Gel: A dental professional or trained technician will apply a whitening gel to the teeth. This gel contains a safe and effective bleaching agent, usually hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide. These chemicals break down and release oxygen, which penetrates the enamel and dentin to lighten the tooth’s colour.
- LED Activation: The LED teeth whitening machine comes into play at this stage. The machine emits a specific type of LED light, usually blue or cool white light, which is directed at the teeth. This light helps to activate and enhance the whitening properties of the gel.
- Chemical Reaction: The combination of the whitening gel and LED light accelerates the chemical reaction that breaks down stains and discoloration on the tooth’s surface. This process is known as oxidation.
- Duration: The treatment typically lasts around 15-60 minutes, depending on the system used and the desired level of whitening.
- Rinse and Assess: After the treatment, the gel is rinsed off, and the client’s teeth are assessed to determine the level of whitening achieved. Clients often notice an immediate improvement in the colour of their teeth.
Professional LED teeth whitening machines work effectively because the LED light enhances the activation of the whitening gel, allowing it to penetrate the tooth’s enamel and break down stains and discolorations. The LED light also generates minimal heat, reducing the risk of tooth sensitivity, which can be a common side effect of teeth whitening.
It’s essential to note that the effectiveness of professional LED teeth whitening may vary from person to person, depending on the severity of staining, the type of staining (intrinsic or extrinsic), and the quality of the equipment and materials used. Additionally, results are not permanent, and teeth may gradually re-stain over time, especially if individuals continue to consume staining substances like coffee, tea, or red wine.
Teeth whitening machines are a safe and efficient way to achieve a brighter smile, and they are best administered by trained professionals or certified technicians to ensure both safety and effectiveness.